Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hello Garden!


Northeast monsoon has been around casting a dry, cool atmospheric conditions in the area. Living in a tropical country, I can tell the ferns and  some plants alike are enjoying the cool, gentle air in the morning.

Cyathea
 The tree fern is producing more crosiers than I expected. Look at those exquisite hairy young stipes.
Five crosiers
Fertile leaves of staghorns never fail me. I am always delighted to see how fast they grow in my humble, limited garden. 
Fertile leaves of staghorn fern
Coming home from a tough but wonderful day, the basal leaves greet me like welcoming hands telling me I am home, safe and sound with my family and the weariness gradually disappears...

Basal leaves
I wonder why these crazy black ants never cease to leave this beautiful still unidentified bloom alone. This was given to me by an aunt.
Sweet unidentified bloom
My one and only jade plant is happily giving me colorful red flowerets. 
Crassula ovata
Even this thorny shrub is producing dainty pale lilac with yellow efflorescence at the center.
Malpighia coccigera





























5 comments:

James David said...

I enjoy looking at the furls of the ferns - so white & hairy.
I have those flowers in my garden - the unidentified ones.
They are known as costus woodsonii
There are many names to it - Red button ginger, Indian Head ginger, etc.
This particular ginger is my favourite as it constantly blooms.

The Sage Butterfly said...

Your ferns are just lovely! I have not had much luck with them as houseplants because the winters can be so low in humidity. Wonderful selection.!

mariernrocks said...

@James Missier: Thanks for helping me id'ing the plant. The blooms always add color to the garden. I hope your Costus woodsonii are not frequently visited by black ants unlike my plants! :-)

@Sage Butterfly: When I was a little girl, I always wanted to experience winter and make snowman. I still do because we only have wet and dry season. It is fun living in the tropics but having four seasons in your country must be great!

Andrea said...

It looks like your garden is not in a very hot and dry area here in the country. Thanks for dropping by my site. Those orange insects in my post are very common here, but they are Malvaceae plant pests. They don't bite animals, don't worry!

mariernrocks said...

@Andrea: I didn't know those colorful bugs are plant pests, they seem harmless to plants...I do enjoy reading posts from plant bloggers like you! :-)

These Hands